A video introduction to the project can be seen here: Work & Injury
The Research Institute began discussions with the Vietnam Association of Occupational Health and National Institute of Occupational and Environmental Health in 2003. These led to the signing, in May 2004, of a collaborative research agreement aimed at reducing occupational accidents in Vietnam. The agreement was established to help facilitate research collaborations between the Institute and its Vietnamese research partners and we opened the Liberty Mutual SafeWork Center in the Institute. Eventually, our efforts bore fruit and we were privileged to be the only westerners invited to the 25th anniversary of the Institute and to meet the Vice Minister of Vietnam
Over the course of the next year, LMRIS researchers, led by Helen Marucci-Wellman, in cooperation with research partners in Vietnam and the University of Massachusetts at Lowell, laid the foundation for a large, community-wide occupational injury surveillance program to examine the Vietnamese societal burden of workplace injury. This effort led to lead to 5 major publications. Beginning in April 2005, researchers collected demographic data from a Vietnamese commune, Xuan Tien, with a population of 10,000, in the province of Nam Dinh. The survey of the 2,000 commune households provided background data on the number of residents and workers in each industry by age and gender and also provided an accurate account of residents who work within the informal sector. Researchers also collected preliminary information on serious injuries and where such injuries were treated. Subsequent phases of the research program collected detailed occupational injury data, examine the influence of work pace and environment variations, compare the results with those of other national and regional efforts in Vietnam, and ultimately develop a model for injury surveillance on a national scale.
In addition the Research Institute served as a co-sponsor and co-organizer of both the First and Second International Scientific Conferences on Occupational and Environmental Health held in Hanoi in 2003 and 2005, respectively.
- Institute Director discussed potential collaboration and presented at First International Scientific Conference on Occupational and Environmental Health, Hanoi, November 2003
- NIOEH/VOHA/LMRIS MOU agreement meetings and preliminary project discussions, May 2004
- NIOEH collaborators visit Research Institute for project planning discussions, September 2004
- LMRIS researchers visit NIOEH, VOHA and other Vietnamese authorities for project planning discussions, November 2004
- LMRIS researchers visit NIOEH, VOHA to develop household survey and make site visit to Xuan Tien Commune- location of research study, March 2005
- LMRIS researcher spent one month in residency in the Xuan Tien commune to oversee data collection, July 2005
- LMRIS researchers visited Vietnam to check progress of Phase II data collection and present at several conferences including Second International Scientific Conference on Occupational and Environmental Health, November 2005.
Marucci-Wellman H, Leamon TB, Binh TT, Diep NB, Wegman DH, Kriebel D.(2011) . “The burden of occupational injury: A 1-year prospective study in Xuan Tien Commune, Viet Nam.” Am J Ind Med. 2011 Dec 7
Marucci-Wellman H, Leamon TB, Willetts JL, Binh TT, Diep NB, Wegman DH, Kriebel D. (2011) “Occupational injuries in a commune in rural Vietnam transitioning from agriculture to new industries” .Am J Public Health. 2011 May;101(5):854-60.
Marucci-Wellman H, Leamon TB, Binh TT, Diep NB, Willetts JL, Wegman DH, Kriebel D. (2010) “The work-related burden of injury in a rapidly industrialising commune in Viet Nam”.
Maruci-Wellman, H., Leamon,T.B., Ta Thi Tuyet Binh,Nguyen Bich Diep, Wegman, DKriebel,D, (2008) “A Survey of Work-Related Injury in a Rapidly Industrializing Commune in Vietnam” Int J Occup Environ Health. 2009 Jan-Mar;15(1):1-8
,Marucci-Wellman, H., Leamon, T.B., Binh, T.T.T, Diep, N.P. Kriebel, D, and Wegman, D.H. (2007),, “Occupational Injury Surveillance in Vietnam,” Proceedings of the 3rd China International Forum on Work Safety, Beijing, China, pp. 352-354, 2006
Marucci-Wellman, H., Tuyet Binh, T.T., Bich Diep, N., Leamon, T.B., Kriebel, D. (2005), and Wegman, D.61, “Work and Injury in Vietnam – A Pilot Study: Self Reported Work and Injury in One Industrializing Commune of Vietnam,” Proceedings of the 2nd International Scientific Conference on Occupational and Environmental Health, Hanoi, Vietnam, pp. 270-271
- Leamon TB. The economic burden of occupational injuries. 1st International Scientific Conference on Occupational and Environmental Health. Hanoi VN November 2003
- Wellman HM., Leamon T. The increasing significance of occupational injury in Asia, 2005 World Congress on Safety and Health at Work, Orlando Florida 2005.
- Wellman HM., Binh TT, Diep NB, Leamon TB, Kriebel D, Wegman DH, Work and injury in Vietnam – a pilot study: self reported work and injury in one industrializing commune . 2nd International Scientific Conference on Occupational and Environmental Health. Hanoi VN November 2005.
- Wellman HM., Binh TT, Diep NB, Leamon TB, Kriebel D, Wegman DH., Work and Injury in Vietnam: A population based pilot study, The first national scientific conference on injury prevention. Hanoi, VN November 2005.